View Single Post
Old 06-09-21, 11:33 AM
Jburrow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seypat
I hate to put a damper on things, but now is not the best time to be buying anything steel related. I work in a steel related industry. We've been getting price increases at the rate of 1 per month since the start of the year. On average, the increases are around 10%. There have been 2 at 25%. The letters received earlier this week has another one at the end of the month at 13%. There are also backorder issues in the 3-5 month range as well as allocation requirements. If you have something now you can ride, do that or buy something used locally. Put your new purchase off for a year. It's doubtful you could get a binding quote that would be good for a week or more. It's that bad at the moment.
thank you for the reply and your willingness to be open. The purchase will be made next year regardless due to other fiscal obligations on my end. That said, I am completely in the dark on where to look for a good bike with my budget in steel that is light, “zippy,” and comfy for fast group rides, climbing, and gravel events.