Old 07-31-21, 02:12 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by cycling2012
Toe clips will increase the weight of my bike?
Well, yeah…all else being equal, specifically if the pedals are equal weight.

Toe clips and straps don’t weigh much, but if weight is your concern, you’ll want to compare options carefully.

For example, you can get flat pedals, like Xpedo TRVS 5, which weigh 232g but don’t take a toe clip, or you could get a toe clip compatible flat like the MKS Cygma which weighs 240g and then add probably 30g - 60g/pedal in clips and straps.

So yes, toe clips add weight of course, but pedals have diverse weights, so you just have to look at each model and see. The MKS GR10 I posted earlier are not lightweights at 340g.

The other things you need to do is consider whether foot retention is worth having and consider how important weight is. If you’ve been riding around on clipless pedals without being clipped in, I’m pretty sure any flat pedal, with or without toe clips, will be a big improvement in comfort, stability, security and performance irrespective of weight.
Likes For chaadster: