SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Im not aware anyone tried tried dunking a fresh chain straight out the box and compared it to a fully degreased chain. Im betting the difference i minimal.
I am also not aware of anyone who has documented such a comparison.

Im betting not deep cleaning old lube from the chain makes minimal difference unless its silicone or other compound that prevents other lubricants sticking to the chain. For instance, factory chain grease and ordinary oil is fully miscible with hot wax and its likely fine just dunking and swishing the chain in hot wax.
But nonetheless, I am not sure that the first pre-waxing cleaning "makes minimal difference" if the chain has factory grease and/or regular lube.

Imo, the single tallest barrier to start waxing and sticking to waxing, is the excessive and convoluted cleaning processes ...
I agree that the first pre-waxing cleaning is difficult and presents a significant barrier to entry. Molten Speed Wax, Silca, Zero Friction Cycling all have slightly different but nonetheless excessive and convoluted chain cleaning processes. If these processes really make minimal difference, it would be in their pecuniary interest to broadcast this fact and encourage people to wax their chains regardless of cleanliness, so they can sell more wax.

... little crock pots that take forever to do what you can do in a saucepan in a few minutes.
Yes, but one is free to do other things while the crock pot is taking its time to melt the wax.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 08-08-21 at 10:39 PM. Reason: grammar