View Single Post
Old 08-25-21, 11:04 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
For me tubeless with airliner inserts is just awesome although a pain to install tires sometimes. Don't carry tubes anymore, even, though. Still...

Just a few days ago I was going to try a 1hr TT kind of effort and along the way in ran into beer bottles broken all over both lanes, right in the middle of nowhere (later I remembered that that there was a pilgrimage along that road, probably explains it). Riding 23mm Corsa Speed TT tires, my rear wheel got properly cut up. The sealant was dry, I forgot to buy and pack a new repair and inflate cartridge, so I rode back home some 35km on 0 psi and airliner inserts.

The rear end was swaying side to side under pedalling forces which felt wonky, I didn't corner nearly as aggressively, and when I tried a threshold type effort it was about 10% slower for the same power, but it was rideable and it's liberating not to have to worry about putting in tubes on the go or what if it flats on a descent or whatever.

I had a flat (it still held a bit of air) happen on a mountainous half-IM triathlon recently, too, and I only really noticed it when I got out of the saddle, popped in a repair & inflate, and it held sufficient air to ride normally.
​​​​​​
With more sturdy tires like GP5000s, it is a pretty bombproof setup.
Likes For Branko D: