View Single Post
Old 08-27-21, 08:25 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheeseftw
.... I'm planning to run with 2x 20L pannier bags plus a 60L dry-pack strapped on top. To be fair, I'm not making full use of the 60L dry-pack and am using rope to reduce size to a minimum, ....
Originally Posted by Cheeseftw
Total volume: 2x 20L pannier bag + 70L dry-pack strapped on top.
A 60-70L dry sack is a BIG bag.

For reference - the 2x large yellow dry sacks on the back of my bike, pictured below, are 20L each, or 40L. 60-70 is more than 3x of these.

I will say - having plenty of extra interior dry storage space is a great thing. I used black trash bags on the trek last fall. They worked, but they are not very strong and you have to get real creative with lashing. A proper dry sack would be a better solution. Think re-supply here. Where are you going to put the extra groceries if all your bags and panniers are full?

Another BIG note - you need to keep the weight low. That is why the dry sacks (front and rear) are off to the sides. If you put the weight on top of your racks then balancing the bike becomes problematic.

With the gear you have laid out thus far I don't think this will be an issue for you, period, but be aware of it - if your balance is off you can get a "death wobble" in the handling of the bike. Even though you may be able to balance and ride the bike the loading being "off" can cause a "shake" in the tracking that you can not remove, other than changing the balancing of the loading. I've had that issue before - not on the trip the pictures are from. I learned what it was a few years back so I know how to get rid of it now.

Dealing with the weight and balance is a prime reason for a pre-trip trip. Learn what the weight does to how the bike rides. You will likely need to change things around on the trip, also, so have some options in mind for how do shift things. As always - keep gear out of the tires and spokes. It is imperative you keep extra cordage tied up away from wheels. A piece of 550 cord getting wrapped around a hub going down the trail can cause a lot of issues once it gets tight. If it doesn't break - it will break something else and cause a sudden stop.

Yes, that is frost you see on the bike, bags, and ground.
Likes For KC8QVO: