View Single Post
Old 08-28-21, 07:56 AM
mtn_cyclist

Bikes: DEAN Duke titanium soft tail, DEAN Torrys titanium gravel bike, Merlin Telluride titanium tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by azza_333
Carbon rims on a touring bike, a pretty controversial topic I am sure.

I am looking into having a set of wheels rebuilt with new rims, for a couple of reasons (wider interior rim width, the possibility of going tubeless in the future).

I came across a set of carbon rims online, 32 spoke holes, 30mm deep, 24mm interior rim width, tubeless compatible, and lighter than the alloy equivalent (handy since I have also started using the bike for weekend club rides).

I was wondering if anyone has toured on carbon rims, and their thoughts on it. I am not overly heavy 70kg + 10kg of gear + 10kg bike + and add an additional 5kg just to be on the safe side = 95kg (210lbs), would that be to much to reliable tour on carbon? I'm hoping to go on a 6000km (on road) tour next year, so hoping to find out if would they be just as strong as alloy rimmed wheels?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
I ride carbon rims on all bikes and wheels....MTB, gravel, road/touring, and MTB tandem. NOX Composite on the tandem, Knight Composites on all other. I'm leaving for a 2 week tour in Italy middle of this month and will be on carbon rims with no hesitation. Good luck!