View Single Post
Old 09-18-21, 11:35 AM
LucasHartong

Bikes: '83 Viner Special Professional, '91 Pinarello Asolo 'spumoni', '93 Trek 930, '94 Giant Cadex CFR3, '97 Giant Atlanta MTB, '99 B1 Weblite Cross , '16 Cube Peloton Race.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 97 Posts
ON THE (T)RAIL OF THE TRAMWAY
There used to be a tramway on our isle, until 1956. Unfortunately the tracks were broken up, but here and there you can still see the remains of the once very lively connections. Today I followed part of the old track from the harbour to an inland town. Care to join me?

This is a map of the old network.

Here we start at the old head station in the harbour. From there you could take the ferry to other destinations.

And when you follow the track inland along the harbour canal you end up in my home town. Here you can see the remains of the track at the old station shed where locs were maintained. It's gone now...

What the old station looked like.

And we continue our journey on the Cascarsi bike. Here we leave my home town and in the far back you can already discern the water tower of the next town we're headed for. * whooooop chu chu *

Entering the next town, passing the old tramway bridge accross the harbour canal.

The harbour today. Small fishing boats, a cafe...

A still intact old gravel road, crossing the former tracks. You can almost hear the rattling of metal or wooden wheels on the gravel.

A beautiful old farm, from around the 1750's.

And we are at the station. End of our ride for now. To be continued!