View Single Post
Old 10-14-21, 12:28 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Originally Posted by Andreescu
hey, can you help me with some problems ?
i have this machine at my bike shop. I truing the wheel perfect but it's a little offset when i put the wheel on the bike. Is there any settings? You write: Perhaps even allow one to program in a slight offset for dished wheels if one wishes. But i don't have that program or button or setting, center offset ( mittenversatz) like in the video. Where can i find it, that setting ? I can't attach a photo, cuz i'm new here. Sorry for my english. Have a great day.
What type of truing stand are you using?

My post was theoretical. Ideally an electronic truing stand could determine exact centering of a wheel. Although, there have been questions whether tire inflation on a dished wheel can impact dishing, so that may also need to be accounted for.

My current truing stand pictured above is 50 years old without any electronic gizmos. Old, but SOLID. In theory, if one is building a dozen identical wheels, one can set it up once, and repeat.

As far as "the wheel perfect but it's a little offset when i put the wheel on the bike."

There are a few possible issues:
  • Wheel is not properly dished. A dishing tool will help you verify.
  • The wheel is, in fact perfect, but the bike is not. Brakes off center, frame bent, bad dropouts, etc.

There is a dishing tool which you should use if you are building several wheels.

It quickly tells you if the rim is properly centered.

If you don't have the dishing tool, an easy check is to flip the wheel backwards in the bike. If the problem follows the wheel, it is a wheel problem. On the other hand, if the problem remains in the same spot, it is a bike problem. This check can generally be done with either the front or rear.

Once you isolate the problem, you can take steps to fix it.

If the problem is the truing stand not self-centering, more details are needed about what stand you are using. If it is an electronic system, talk to the manufacturer.

If this is a theoretical problem as my theoretical post above, then I can give more comments. But, I believe that a highly automated stand should be able to determine how to properly center the wheel using the axle width (OLD, over locknut dimension), as well as the rim width. And, possibly a fudge factor for the tire inflation.