View Single Post
Old 11-10-21, 07:16 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Some of this probably comes down to how careful we are as individual about wear points and so on. Some go to great lengths to avoid even the slightest scuff. Others don't sweat it if a little paint gets rubbed off over time. Similar attitudes can apply over wear on bags and other gear.

Personally I figure I am not much worried about hurting resale value since I seldom have ever sold one of my bikes. I keep them either forever or until they are ready to donate to a co-op. A scuff here or there that is normal wear doesn't bother me. A scar from a crash may bother me more, but is less avoidable and I see it as just another battle scar. Wear on bags and stuff like that concerns me if it actually shortens the life of the bags. Otherwise not so much.

I have almost never bothered with tape or other protective stuff on the frame unless I was putting it under a metal p-clamp or something.

Not suggesting others should do as I do. Just pointing out that there is a range of approaches to how much we fuss over this stuff. Some of us go to great lengths and some of us pretty much just don't sweat it.