Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
what I find is the startle and annoyance is greatest when I make the announcement too close to the actual pass. I therefore announce a bit further back than other people I observe and don't slow that much unless there's a) other people on the path, b) dogs or c) children (those add too much unpredictability not to slow). Generally, I announce pretty far back in as friendly a voice as I can muster, then thank the person as I actually pass. I get a lot of thank yous back, and I don't recall any such encounter turning sour. On the other hand, I find that if I don't announce until I'm close, it doesn't matter how slow I'm going, I'm very likely to get that startled response. I've had that happen at less than 5 mph.
I never made the connection of distance not startling the person you are passing. But with some exceptions for very noob walkers and cyclist, I think you are on to something there.

One of the benefits to me from announcing as reasonably far away as I can be heard is that I get to see their reaction in time for me to react.
Likes For Iride01: