View Single Post
Old 12-04-21, 01:43 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
[QUOTE=63rickert;22328600]
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Rammed from behind is not what happens. The whole point of drafting is the two riders are matched in speed.
Unless, say, the front rider had no clue the rear rider was a few inches away and stopped pedallng and sat up, or even braked .....[QUOTE=63rickert;22328600]
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Wheel contact drills are stupid.
Then why did your coach think you needed to do them? Of course the rider behind should announce.
Really? Why? Didn't your stupid drills prove nothing bad could happen?
I draft far less than formerly because when I announce the most common response is no response.
Why would you care if they responded? It doesn't matter if they hit you. You just told us that. You also told us that no one gets hurt in bicycle crashes. What are you Afraid of?
Most of them can’t ride a straight line, can’t make a steady pace, are way too erratic for me to want their wheel.
But wait, wouldn't they be equally erratic and incapable of riding a straight line if they were a few inches behind you?

Most following too close accidents happen at low speeds in heavy traffic. Doesn’t have to be fast to get messy. The real world accidents again are completely different from the imagined horrors. Stop living in a world of imaginary problems.
And this is where you don't just point the gun vaguely at your foot, you take careful aim at each toe in succession and pull the trigger.

There are enough accidents by your own admission, that you have been able to classify them into different types, which is fine .... except that very few of us have ever seen or been involved in low-speed accidents where we got hit from behind in heavy traffic----care to show us the source of your statistics? I am sure they are not among the 99 percent of all statistics which are entirely fabricated by someone trying to win an argument, right? So .... where are your numbers? Name your sources.

Of course, low-speed accident sin heavy traffic are also dangerous, because there is half a chance you or the other person will fall into traffic.

But high-speed accidents are also unpleasant, because coming off the bike at high speed Hurts, and sometimes kills. The number of World Tour riders we have SEEN---on TV of course, so you are going to tell us those crashes are all faked? And those of us who have watched bike racing live .... I guess those crashes were all done by stuntmen? The broken bones, head injuries, scrapes and cuts, and broken bikes were just special effects? Because after all, your coach proved that nobody gets hit from behind and knocked over.

Here is this----You admit there are crashes, but no one cares what you admit---we have all seen people on the internet who refuse to face reality and tell others their own life experiences are simply wrong.

You also seem to think---and have even claimed--that the only reason people get hurt in high-speed crashes is because they panic. You know .... one bike hits another while both are traveling at 20 mph, but if both riders would just break out into laughter, or maybe even song ... both would walk away unscathed. The riders we have seen withdrawing from races are carted off in ambulances .... maybe they sang the wrong song?

Here is Fact .... you are old enough to finally meet Fact, I think-----People don't lie in terror of crashing. If they did they wouldn't ride. In fact, the primary reason I see on any of the bike sites I visit and among riders I have met---you know real people in the real world who ride real bikes---for not riding on the road is the fear of getting hit by cars---even though we all know that that5 is a rare occurrence.

Those of us who actively ride and actively avoid collisions, are not avoiding "imagined horrors." We are avoiding real horrors whioch we know how to avoid ... say, by not letting untrained or unknown people draft us. You know, the people you explain
.... can’t ride a straight line, can’t make a steady pace, are way too erratic ....
The whole "terror" thing is your invention .... and is thus rather revealing, perhaps, eh? The rest of us take stock of real-world situations, weigh the odds, do what we can to minimize the risks, and ride because we have deemed it reasonably safe, given the precautions we take .... the same precautions you, gripped in your own imaginary internal terror, advise us to take and take yourself. Interesting.

You are here telling us we are all cowards because we won't play Russian Roulette ("Hey,. most of the time no one gets hurt! The fear is all in your mind!") but then explain hwo you avoid playing Russian Roulette.

Man, just cut the BS and walk away.

Most of us have ridden in packs, and single- and double pacelines, with riders we trusted who trusted us .... without the "terror" you cannot seem to stop mentioning. We are also smart enough, not to get into such situations with people we don't know or trust---as you claim to be.

Yet you still feel a need to demean the people who actually do exactly what you say you do.

Just walk away from this thread. The world is a wide place, and certainly you can find a place where you can make positive contributions?
Likes For Maelochs: