Old 12-31-21, 09:42 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26418 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
What should I upgrade first rn I have $200 dlls saved up here are my options: (btw forgot to mention but tires also need to be changed)
  • looking around the internet I found a good deal in some fulcrum 900 wheelset for $180 which would make my current budget go all towards that, and leaves me without tyres which is no biggie since i still have a couple miles on the current ones and I would have to run single speed for a while too since i don't have cassettes.
  • or I could buy a new FSA Gossamer crankset, bottom bearing and tyres that I found for around 170 dlls.
  • I also found a sweet deal on some 105 shifters but since i wouldn't be able to use them right away i'm letting pass probably, 140 dlls. + tyres prob.
  • OR recommendations from you guys.
Also would like your opinion on the wheels, i think frankly that its a good deal but in other forums people where saying that they where a mushy mess and such, honestly way better than what i have rn and in my budget but appreciate any recommendations you guys give me.
...if you want to keep and ride this bike, put your money into decent wheels and tyres. All of the components I saw on the bike in the other referenced thread seem to be pretty serviceable, and if anything, an FSA Gossamer crankset is not an upgrade on the original. If you are taking that original crank in to have it retightened every two weeks it might be damaged. Sometimes the crank arm spindle sockets get damaged by someone riding them loose on the spindle, and the spindle gouges the flats. A crank once damaged like that will never stay tight.

Youi need someone knowledgeable who is ethical and on your side to evaluate the mechanical condition of everything on a used bike of this age, that you bought for 100 bucks. I would advise against buying anything for it unless/until you find that person and get some in person advice. No one on the internet can actually see what's going on with your bike, and you have no idea of the mechanical service history of it.

I can only say I have ridden similar bikes thousands of miles, and never "upgraded" anything, except maybe the tyres, and retensioning the spokes.