Old 01-23-22, 08:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Where are you that you really need studded tires often? If it is for one or two rides, don't worry about it just get a trainer and ride indoors that one day. If you are doing it often ride some bikes with wider tire clearance and forget about labels. If I was truly riding often in nasty enough conditions to have a bike with studded tires I would want something with quite wide tires beyond the road and road plus spectrum, I would also want to be a bit more upright for better visibility. Sure a road bike in the traditional sense of a road bike can be quite fun but not so much in really bad weather. Maybe a similar geometry because that geometry on that bike I like worked well for me but with more features that would make it practical for winter usage. Plus it is good to have multiple bikes that are different. Having similar bikes is a bit boring-ish to a point.

If I were building a more ultimate winter bike I would want good hydraulic disc brakes, a belt drive maybe with just a single speed (but not opposed to a Rohloff or Pinion or even an Alfine 11, clearance for proper mountain bike tires 2.4 at least (with room for fenders) and probably a dynamo for lighting all on a titanium frame so I can beat it up a bit. Stability would be the number one concern geometry wise and probably would look at some sort of an ALT bar or one of the more gravel oriented bars.