Old 12-03-22, 12:09 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by heidelbergensis
I think that's it - there's something iconic about these bikes, but also there's this strange duality between being both mass-produced items but also kind of eccentric and weird. Both workmanly and somehow rarefied.

And also, of course, never knowing if you're going to get a "good one" - there's kind of a surprise or chance element involved in collecting Raleighs from this period. I'm happy about the condition of this frameset because that means I feel a bit more at ease with modifying it!

I picked one up awhile back with pretty decent paint but someone had cut the Huret deraiulleur hanger off so I get to replace it with a "universal" Campy hanger with no remorse. Mine will be mostly period correct and with as much "European" content as possible. I'm anxious to get it done to see if it lives up to everything I've read about the ride quality of this series of Competition. If they're everything I'm told they are I may have a bunch of other bikes for sale LOL.

Picture is from the seller's the ad, I asked if he'd sell just the frame set and he said that's how he preferred to sell it. I drove 4 hours round trip to get it and I was definitely NOT disappointed when I finally had it in hand. He was going to build a SS/FG out of it but found a "better" frameset. He's not the one that hacked the hanger off, that was done before he got it.