Old 01-06-23, 12:05 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I don't need or want 3'. I want not to be hit! I'd love not to be passed at 30mph. It was wrong for cycling advocates to push for unreasonable passing distances given the congestion on most urban and suburban streets and roads. But now its ingrained in too much of the cycling community as an unmet need. What should have been done instead is set and enforce sane passing speeds like is done in Europe. 19mph is the most speed differential EU drivers can pass cyclists at. Why 19mph? Because it has been determined that, even in a worst case scenario of a rear quarter contact, the cyclist is likely to survive. I mention it only because you brought it up. I'll return the thread to regularly scheduled programming already in progress ...
Maybe it depends where you live but I don't ride on streets where cars are going 30mph to pass usually - too much traffic. So the passing distance makes much more impact (no pun intended) on riding than speed. And interestingly i get that distance from cars on my trike
but not on 2 wheelers. I think they are so used to 2 wheel bikes they don't see them anymore where a trike is still unique. Also, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be dead if someone hits me going 19mph; I'm small and old, lol.