View Single Post
Old 08-11-22, 09:23 AM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 653 Times in 254 Posts
Old VS. New: They almost got me!

I've been looking at the Surly Bridge Club as a potential replacement for many of the bikes in my garage in an effort to reduce quantities (N-5 or 6) and simplify. Its pretty affordable at $1500 and gets lots of good reviews online.
But comparing geometry charts between it and my 1996 Trek 930, the two are remarkably close to the same bike. Surly at the top, Trek at the bottom, comparing the 21" Trek to the LG. Surly.

I've been reading a little bit and the general consensus I'm finding is that "new, modern" geometry is so much more comfortable and somehow better than "old, vintage" geometry as it relates to mountain bikes. But the chart shows that in this instance, theyre about the same bike... Effective top tubes are within 15 mm of each other, chainstays are within 5, head and seat angles are the same, head tube length is the same, wheelbase is only 16mm difference and standover is only 1mm different!
I almost bought in to the hype... But I still kind of want a new bike ya know.
So I guess I could buy a new Surly or I could build the Trek into a "Budget Bridge Club" using a rigid fork from Bikeman.com , get a sweet swept back bar like the Ritchey Coyote and save myself $1000. Maybe sell off the redundant bikes in the garage and pay for the upgrades to the Trek?
Pros: Save some big cash, have something kind of interesting.
Cons: Still a 26" wheeled bike with cantilevers / linear pull brakes and not as many mounting options...
I like that the Trek was built in the US, I like that it was a ridiculously cheap initial purchase, and I like that I have it in my possession right now. Bird in the hand, you know... But I don't like that after all is said and done, I'd still have a bike limited to 26" wheels and cantilever/linear pull brakes...
But conversely, what major advantage would a new Bridge Club have over a well kitted older MTB?

What are your thoughts?