View Single Post
Old 03-22-08, 03:45 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,690 Times in 2,610 Posts
Here are some pics of my latest 650B conversion. The starting point is a St. Etienne early 70s road bike w/ Reynolds 531 straight gauge main triangle. I had it powdercoated gloss black and for the original fork, I substituted a Reynolds 531 fork that was probably from a Raleigh International (a fairly cheap eBay purchase, probably due to the trashed paint and chrome on the fork). The replacement fork gave me much more rake (for a lower-trail geometry), plus English threading and steerer tube size. Rims are Mavic, hubs are Campy NR, tires are Panaracer Nifty Swiftys, crankset is Stronglight mod. 93 w/ 42t ring, brakes are Weinmann sidepulls with lots of reach, fenders are 49-year old Bluemels Airweight alloy, saddle is ADGA, bars are Luxe, stem is Nitto, brake levers are Weinmann, grips are home-made leather strips with a few coats of shellac, chainguard is no-name from a Belgian eBay seller as is the headbadge, rear rack is English chromed steel. Right now it's set up as a single speed, but I have the parts to turn it into a 5-speed. Right now it's great fun as a single speed. Total weight is 23 lbs on my hanging scale.

Neal