Old 08-28-22, 07:28 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 789 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
What are your scary qualifications for making these obvious over-generalizations? I know plenty of fairly fit older people who wouldn't risk lifting weights.

Are you seriously suggesting that injury from weight lifting isn't a real concern?
My qualifications simply come from my observation over the years of friends, family and others. I've seen the people that were moderately active, slowly age, becoming less active and eventually becoming virtually bedridden. At one point in my life I thought this progression was just a fact of life – inevitable.

However, I've learned differently, since I decided I didn't want to become what I've witnessed. Long story...short, I started looking more into fitness and found that it doesn't have to be that way. And I started practicing the new knowledge I gained, both in my cardio work and my weightlifting.

And today, at 57, I look around at others my similar age and I see what I saw earlier in life, where people (my age) don't run anymore, don't lift heavy weights and simply do moderate exercise at the gym, lifting small weights and jumping on the elliptical for 30-minutes.

But yeah, I have no qualifications, I'm just some guy.

You want hear someone with qualifications, listen to this guy, he's a doctor and he'll say basically the same thing. Us older people need to lift heavier weights. And he shows examples. And what's important when watching the people he's coached is that these were people that were not nearly as active as many of us on this website.

And just a few examples of success. I can only imagine how much better off they'd be if they had more of a base to work off, but still incredible results.