Old 04-08-21, 02:38 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 213 Posts
Originally Posted by pinholecam
The Brompton has elevated itself to be beyond just a bike. Its a fashion statement and a badge of wealth.
Bike buyers fall into 3-4 categories.
1. The lifestyle (well heeled )
2. The performance orientated
3. The Utilitarian/ Practical
4. The budget orientated

The Brompton buyer is certain #1 with a mix of #3.
A #4 buyer won't necessary need a Brompton since there are cheaper bikes.
He/She won't fit in the associated lifestyle and Brompton Clique too.

#2 won't want a Brompton and will get something faster, eventually ending with a road bike

#3, usually has his/her own needs which may/may not end w/ a Brompton.

So in the end, a cheap Brompton based bike really has limited demand.
If I am cheap, its still too expensive vs other options
If I am into the lifestyle, the chance to be rejected by the "B" community is high.
If I am performance orientated, most likely a Pocket Rocket, faster spec'ed Tern/Dahon, or road bike
If I am practical and want utility, many other bikes can do it with a rear rack, cheap such that fear of theft is lower, etc.

A "B" copy is a niche within a niche and there are enough copy makers out there already (ie. Pikes, 360, etc )
I fully agree with this: Brompton indeed fits for #1 an #3.

These people do not care much for the price, #1 want a Brompton for its brand name, #3 want a Brompton for its reliability and ease of use (not only folding, also of ease of use of its front bag).

But its a minority of folding bike buyers.

Most, only look for a bike that fits in the trunk of their car and which is a second or third bike, seldom used and mostly for (very) short distances, therefore they want something very cheap much cheaper than a Brompton, typically a low end Dahon.or similar.

Originally Posted by Winfried
There's no copycat in the West, because they obviously can't be sold (copyright issue). The closest alternatives are bigger and more expensive (Birdy and Vello come to mind.)

I know some users who need a compact folder — because of commute and/or live in an apparment and have no place to park a regular bike —, but can't afford a Brompton. So they bought a less practical Dahon, but might get a Brompton one day. That's the population I had in mind.
The Birdy is a completely different offering than the Brompton, it rides much better and is much better suited to travel and as you say, is not an alternative for a cheap Brompton because its more expensive.

The closest alternative for me is the Tyrell Yve but its also expensive.