Old 08-25-22, 02:18 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Thanks for the recs on the Varia, may be something I need to seriously consider, especially with integrated camera. I guess my thing is... as others have expressed, I'm never surprised by a car passing me, I always hear them approaching, and the radar seems to merely back that up. Given that it can't predict a last second swerve or a dangerously close approach path, is there any real advantage to it versus just being attentive? I can't glance back at every car to make sure they're not headed directly for my rear tire.
There's a reason why virtually everyone that's used one would get another in a heartbeat, if they had to.

It'll pick up cars far sooner than your ears. It'll pick up multiples. It'll give you relative position/closing speed (via indicator dots on the side of your GPS computer display) of up to 8 vehicles - this kind of stuff is pretty helpful for navigating the typical street debris/obstructions. It also changes the tail light flashing pattern when it senses an approaching vehicle. Oh, and here's something I'd posted recently in another thread -

Originally Posted by WhyFi
A Varia makes it more practical for me to adopt a default lane position that's further left, which generally puts me on smoother pavement with less debris. That position also makes me more visible than FRAP. I also believe that, seeing me move over upon their approach, drivers tend to understand that I'm aware of them and that I'm being accommodating and respond in kind; I've had FAR fewer close passes since getting a Varia.
I mean, let's be real - if someone is going to do you harm, intentionally or not, I don't think that there's a realistic and actionable way of detecting and preventing it. You can, however, do what can to improve your awareness and theirs.