wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I overdid it last week. I think it was the dead lifts with the 80-lb barbell. My lower back got pretty sore. Then yesterday and today, I shoveled snow, which made it worse. My shoulders hurt, too. I'm doing tons of stretching now, which helps. I'm also taking ibuprofen, which also helps. I'm walking around like an old man, very slowly. I don't want to make any sudden moves, because they can cause spasms. On the other hand, I am swinging my hips farther than normal when walking. Walking seems to help.

Here are some tips for when you deadlifting:

Make sure that your form is perfect. If you not sure then ask some experienced lifter or even hire a PT and have them explain it to you. Back pain form deadlifting is often a result of not using a proper technique and/or doing too many sets and reps and/or not warming up properly...Don't over do it on this exercise, deadlifting once per week is plenty enough...Keep your reps on the lower side when deadlifting, about 3-5 reps for 5-8 sets for a total of about 14-24 reps is ideal. Take 3 minutes rest between your sets...Make sure to warm up before your lifting, the best way to warm up for a dead lift is with a deadlift. Do a couple of warm up sets starting with an empty bar and then slowly add weight until you are well warmed up and your body is in the groove and then do your working sets...The type of shoes you wear is very important when deadlifting. Avoid running shoes and avoid any shoes with thick soft soles. The best shoes are flat with a hard sole, you want as much contact with the ground as possible, some people even deadlift barefoot. I prefer to wear weightlifting shoes for deadlifting, squatting and overhead pressing, Chuck Taylors are also good shoes for deadlifting and many power lifters use them.