Old 12-08-20, 10:24 AM
oldtimeyirv
Cannon-dad

Bikes: Cannondales, Columbus Schwinn, old GTs, too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 12 Posts
PROJECT UPDATE: Was able to make major progress over the weekend. I took merziac advice and did my best to salvage the original BB and crankset. I think it turned out really well and it was a good lesson... Elbow grease was probably more effective than throwing money at the problem. My mother had donated her old bike to the project, as it was loaded with decent parts that still worked perfectly. I was able to set up the cockpit with grip shifters and brake levers from the old bike. Managed to salvage the old U-brake with some cleaning, hopefully the V-brake levers will work with it. I will be taking the front v-brake off a donor bike to finish the set up.

After a short trip to my new LBS, I had new tires and tubes along with a quick release set. I told the service guy I was looking for 700x38 tires and he made me a deal on some brand new 700x40 tires he took off a custom build, included the tubes also! Really happy with how everything is turning out. At this point, I just need a seat post and new saddle, as well as a chain and new cables. Here is a photo since I am able to post them now I am keeping the photo album in my profile updated with more photos, take a look! 1991 GT Arette

U-BRAKE QUESTION: What type of brake pads do these calipers use? I searched online and it showed me BMX style pads. Will it use standard road type pads? V-brake pads? Also, will any standard straddle cable work?

GRIP SHIFT QUESTION: Is it possible/necessary to replace the cables in this type of shifter? I am not at all familiar with how they work and did not see an obvious way of changing them. The current cables are not in poor condition, they are just old.

Hoping to finish the bike up for the Holidays.