View Single Post
Old 07-25-21, 11:38 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I doubt anyone could feel the 6-8W of a dyno hub of 3-5 watts of a Rohloff hub. Imperceptible doesn't mean irrelevant

I am a low power, efficiency minded rider.
I am clearly a low wattage rider too. But on a bike tour, usually I can travel a shorter distance in a day if it is a day with uphills or headwinds. My last tour (pre-Covid), there were some 10 or 11 hour days in the saddle because the campsites were not closer together. Usually I strive for something more like 6 or 7 hour days on a bike tour. I am there to enjoy the trip, not win any awards. Being retired, I can take trips longer than a week, so I do not have to plan out my trips based on a limited number of days anymore.

The photo below was the road on a 14 hour day. There were stretches where I could not go over 8 km/hr because of the bad washboarding. When you don't bother to steer around rocks that are smaller than a tennis ball, that tells you how bad the road is. This is the type of place I bought that bike for.

But, because that is my only S&S coupled bike, for international trips I take that bike even if a lighter duty bike would be better.

Another photo of that bike.

I think I had about one week of food on the bike when I took that photo.