View Single Post
Old 01-06-22, 01:14 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
I got this 1990 ST400 about a month ago. It had all the original components, including the tires. Lots of chips in the paint, but otherwise it was in very good shape. The original components were painfully heavy, so I decided to go with an updated 3x10 build.

My touch-up paint isn't a perfect match, but it looks really good from a distance or in poor lighting. I also touched up the decal with white nail polish, but didn't put enough effort into that. I could probably improve both the paint and the decal with some patience, but I'm not sure I'll bother. In the light of day, it looks like this:

I acquired a set of Shimano CX-70 cantilever brakes for the build, but then at the last minute I decided I wanted to try mini V's so I bought a set of Tektro RX6's. I really like the feel of V-brakes -- much better than cantilevers. Mini-V's are supposed to give you that feel while working with road levers. How well they do that depends on your tolerance for tight rim clearance. I've only had this out for a few hundred yards up and down the street, but the power of the brakes is outstanding. The rim clearance on the other hand.... Let's just say the wheel will need to stay perfectly true. My wheelbuilder (me) comes along on all my rides, but I don't think this is suitable for touring. We'll see.

The drivetrain is Shimano 10-speed with an FSA Gossamer crankset that I recently polished.

The build, as shown above, including bell, mirror, and bottle cages, comes in at 22.25 pounds. I didn't think to weigh it in original condition, but it was heavy. The Cannondale catalog claimed it weighed 25.5 pounds (and that was without accessories).

Finally, a couple of acknowledgements are in order. The saddle was given to me by @RustyJames and the Crank Brothers pedals (which look like they might never have been used before) were given to me by @Dfrost. Many thanks to both of you.