View Single Post
Old 07-23-22, 10:49 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Hotrods are quite popular with riders in my club, particularly as seatstay lights, and yeah, they look to perform fine to my eye.

My coach runs one on his seatpost, and here again, it looks fine and bright to me.

They also seem reliable; over the years, I can’t recall any failures over MI’s notoriously bad roads. I suppose, though, that strap mounts in general are quite effective, as I can’t recall any brand light failures of the mount in many, many years. I did have, myself, some Knog strap failures about 10 years ago, Nothing catastrophic like popping off during use, bit they did start to tear. I stuck with the brand though, and they resolved the issue some time ago, as I have some Knogs which are fairly old.
I picked up a couple of hotrods recently because the batteries in my cateye lights were becoming iffy. They aren't directional (no lens on the LEDs so throw light in all directions) so work well on seatstays (and helmets).

I do wish someone would make something in this form factor that would sent the light out at whatever the average seat stay angle is. It would be a lot more efficient.