Old 09-04-22, 03:40 PM
louky

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I know it's been asked before, but........ (Falcon)

I have been getting some older bikes and renovating them for a charity. A common bike has been older "15 speeds" with 5 cog rears, I have had 3 so far with Falcon freewheels. I want to get a tool to remove these. I understand from reading past posts that many people advise just going to the bike shop to have these removed, then getting rid of them and replacing with something else. I want to have the ability to get these off myself so I can service the bearings. The goal on these bikes is to get them back on the road at the lowest cost.

I have access to the Park FL5. As close as I can measure, this tool is about 1mm to large, though the same number of splines. My understanding is that the Park tool that they sell as a Falcon removal tool is even larger than this.

Some of my reading leads me to think that the tool sold as Shimano Boss will fit the Falcon. I found this ebay listing but they are out of stock. Kengine FR-04 Old Style Shimano Freewheel Remover Bike Tool fits FFS TL-FW20 | eBay

Can anyone verify that this is likely the tool I need, in which case I can start watching ebay for a used one?

BTW, how do you measure a spline tool, across the teeth (which would be a larger number) or across the gaps?

Thanks in advance.