Old 09-21-22, 03:12 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
There are lots of factors such as:
- Education: Here in the US many folks still don't consider a bike being a utility vehicle. Bikes are either for kids, to go road biking, mountain biking or for the Sunday afternoon stroll through the park. But for many it is a novelty to use it to commute, go shopping or run other errands such as doctors visit,... Even on short distance. This also explains why bikes here in the US are normally not sold with racks, fenders or lights contrary to countries like Germany. Many stores here in the US don't even have a good selection of bike accessories for commuting such as panniers, fenders, racks... Or I have never seen cargo bikes being sold in bikes stores in my area.
- Distance: I live in a big metropolitan area where many folks have long commutes. 50 miles ore more one way is not uncommon. Plus it can get hot here in Texas.
- Infrastructure: There is still a lack of safe infrastructure for cyclists. Hardly any bike lanes and trails. And the existing ones are more tailored to weekend warriors. Meaning trails are often not connected with each other and don't lead to business areas, shopping areas, schools, ... Many trails are just for riding in or along a park.
- Public transport: Many cities here in the US don't have a good public transport network which you can use in combination with your bike. Meaning for example take you bike on a train for the long distance and ride your bike for the last mile work.
- Bike storage and change options at work: Not many work places do cater for the needs of employees coming by bike. I have the privilege working at an office with bike racks in the parking garage and a gym with showers and locker rooms. And we even have bike trail in front of the building. But I am the only one out of 200+ employees who commutes bike regularly. There are two other co-workers who occasionally ride their bikes to work.
To get more people to use bikes as a utility and commuter vehicle we need to do a lot more advocacy work. Education, creating better and safer cycling infrastructure. The US might eventually get there but it is still a long way.