Old 09-22-22, 07:17 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorcerer
​​​​​​You're right, different parts of the world do have different circumstances. I agree with your circumstance. My statements aren't valid as a gross generalization.

My comment is based upon the California Bay Area situation where I reside.

Something else I observe is that some wealthier people seek residence in mountain and hill areas on the wildland interface which necessitate motorized travel.

I even know some cyclists who live on top of hills whose driveways are so steep and long that when they do local rides ( and they ride frequently) they drive down to the edge of the flat land and then start riding. I don't say anything to them about it, but I think that's weird.

My wife used to ride to work at least a couple of times a week to work.

Since the pandemic began, she worked from home. Now that things are getting back to normal she will continue to work from home. She only goes in for hardware exchanges, and even that could be done by FedEx or something. And her meetings are virtual with people all over the nation and world.

This has enabled her to take the time she used to ride to work and actually do recreational mountain bike rides daily! I'm so happy for her, and envious too!

The work from home movement has reduced traffic a bit. It's back to bad now though.
My comments were based on 4 decades of experience with trying to convince people to ride to work. There are no new excuses. All of the excuses used now…every single one…are exactly the same that have been said to me 40 years ago. That includes arguments about sprawl (which was much less 40 years ago), traffic (also less than 40 years ago), showers, etc. It’s the same old, same old.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: