Old 10-03-22, 06:43 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4929 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
Heya--I think we've chatted before about this in the singlespeed forum. I ride my geared gravel rig all around there all the time(I live down Chevy Chase). But those are tough climbs on a singlespeed! I had a 32x20 mtb but now my ss is another gravel rig set up 34-18. I took it up Cherry recently, and I was walking a lot (I still had fun of course). The most fun I have on the ss bike nearby are Gabrieleno as I say, and also that Flint Canyon trail that connects Cherry to over by JPL. Just nice flowy stuff like that
is hard to come by around here!
Yes. We’ve talked 👍

Doing the Cherry climb, take the right turn for Liz’s loop near the start. It is a little longer, but bypasses some of the steep pitches on the lower half. The top half, is just suffering between the plateaus. I found that stopping to recover for as long as needed, and then tackling the tough parts on the bike is good for building towards improved strength. Some stuff is just too much, however.

Flint is a perfect starting route for SS, and a great dirt link between the areas.

There are a couple of others SS MTB’ers in the area that I have come across on Brown. One is almost always wearing a kilt, but sometimes can be found on other bikes (road bike, last time). The other will be riding a custom Esker. Both great guys.