View Single Post
Old 11-14-22, 03:47 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by albrt
I wasn't thinking about it when I posted this, but perhaps the most valuable function of a co-op forum would be as a source of information for people thinking of starting a co-op. There are a lot of different business models out there.

I also wonder whether transitioning to a co-op model might be an option for local bike shop owners approaching retirement, especially if nobody wants to buy out the business on a commercial basis.
It seems like around here most used bike shops are co-ops, and new bike shops are traditional.

But, that is a good point about the formation and organization of a co-op.

As far as longevity of a business. That would require very good organization of the non-profit structure.

We've got a local non-profit building supply store that has organized around some kind of a management board, and it seems to be with fairly stable footing.

However, we've had a couple of co-ops that have closed or morphed.

So, Burley Trailers apparently started as a small family business. Then became a co-op. Then sold to become a larger (but still local) business, and now mostly importing everything from China.

As mentioned the Eugene bike co-op, Human Powered Machines or Center for Appropriate Transport was sold out with COVID, and I think the delivery portion remained, but the consumer and public outreach part closed. The business always seemed to be centered around the founder that just got OLD.

Anyway, it would be complex to maintain a long term cooperative business past the lifespans of the founders.