Old 01-13-23, 02:24 PM
sbarner 
Paramount Fan

Bikes: Paramounts, Raleigh Pros, Colnago, DeRosa, Gios, Masis, Pinarello, R. Sachs, Look, D. Moulton, Witcomb, Motobecane, Bianchis, Fat City, Frejus, Follis, Waterford, Litespeed, d'Autremont, others, mostly '70s-'80s

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 133 Posts
[QUOTE=Robvolz;22767241]
Originally Posted by sbarner
Wow. Just, wow. That's a tandem hub, by the way.

Added: I should mention that the tandem hub, while beautiful and strong, uses a special bearing that is apparently 100% unavailable, as there is no standard bearing that it cross references to. Thank you, Campagnolo.

Hey, You know much more about Campy than me. What is this hub called so I can market it correctly? I don't know enough to even look it up.

BTW, I have friends in the aerospace industry. No such thing as bearings that are unobtainium. Won a bet and a bottle of Pappy last time someone challenged me.
Thanks
Robert
I'm pretty sure it didn't have a name beyond "Tandem." The tandem group was based on the mountain bike groups at the time. and was made only for a few years in the early 1990s. It enjoyed about the same level of success as the MTB components, which is to say not much. I think the first version was released in 1990 and based on the Olympus and/or Centaur groups, both of which included very similar-looking cranksets. Both front and rear tandem hubs were different from anything else in the line, with heavier duty bearings and larger diameter axles. Spoking options were 40 and 48-hole. I have seen a very similar cassette hub with 32 holes and spaced for 135 mm, so it must have been spun as a mountain bike hub at one point. If yours doesn't have 40 or 48 holes, then I'm all wet and what you have is one of these MTB versions, though the ones I've seen also had bolts, not a QR.

The model number for the rear hub was FH-00TD and it was only available in 140 mm width. The knurled ring on the left side is a protector for a threaded section. This is the same thread as used by freewheels and track cogs, but it is for an optional drag brake, common for tandems at the time. The most popular was the Arai drum brake, a heavy unit that was intended not to stop the bike, but to slow it down on long descents. It will also fit the Phil Wood disk brake, but those are rare today and the discs used contain asbestos. Shimano and probably others offered disc setups for these threaded tandem hubs before the current standards were implemented. Tandems East lists adapters to fit modern discs to these threaded hubs. I don't know how difficult it is to get these to match up with modern caliper mounts.

Here's a link to a scan of the tandem components from the 1992 catalog. I don't think there were any changes in the line over the few years it was offered, other than that the first hub version was for threaded freewheels. https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site...ge_scan_8.html I have a set on a tandem -- not my wisest purchase -- and all I can say is that it is very pretty stuff that is so hard to find parts for that it should be displayed, not ridden.