Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by 9606
...not sure what else you really need...

Shower gel, wash mitt, camp towel, sandals, toilet paper, ibuprofen, salt sticks, zip ties, chain lube, Starbuck's VIA paks, seatpost collar, tire boots, earplugs, shades, safety pins, etc.
But none of this stuff really takes up too much room or weight. Thus maybe no need for a bag drop(s).
Is a bag drop worth the $$ and hassle, compared to the flexibility of being a bit more self supported.
Are you serious about those items? I've done four 1200K randonnees and it has never occurred to me to bring most of that ... and people tell me I pack heavy!! What's a "Starbuck's VIA paks"?

I rode my first PBP (the one I completed) with no bag drops, and I was so glad I went that route when I watched people digging through massive piles of luggage looking for theirs ... while I did things like eating and sleeping.

As for a few little details ... I changed my shorts at Brest (halfway) and I don't think I showered at any point along the way. I sort of recall there might have been showers at Loudeac, but the wait was too long for me. I did bring a towel with me, but only used it for warmth ... I stuffed it down my jersey on cold mornings.
Charlene's European Adventure

For me, the 1200Ks came down to survival ... ride, ride, ride, eat, ride, eat, sleep, ride, ride, ride, and repeat.

As for what's available at the controls ... there's food (usually something basic and bland and delicious like mashed potatoes), tea & coffee (go for the coffee), a collection of well-used toilets, and racks where you can lean your bicycle. Most have some place where you can catch a nap as well ... cardboard on the floor or a grassy area outside. And there might be small mechanics and medic areas. What more do you want?

What is the longest ride you've done so far? Have you done a 1200K?

Last edited by Machka; 07-22-14 at 05:38 PM.