View Single Post
Old 03-28-23, 04:17 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,391 Times in 3,675 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageSteelEU
Yeah, that design is really weird. What's wrong with all sprockets being one colour? I don't know what Shimano thought at the drawing board stage. Got two casettes with the same kind of thing, completely unnecessary. All works well enough, but design is a bit ghastly.
Looks like I might be able to just put this freewheel away as a backup. Got a MF- 6208 today. Unfortunately 13-21, not 13-24 I wanted, but might be just alright and start using the front derailleur and 42T chainring more. It always feels good to bring something back to life though, even something as ugly as these newer Shimano freewheels.
Originally Posted by Positron400
Absolutely agree - they look awful. I am actually looking (different thread) for a 14-28 freewheel with HG w/o the gaudy "MEGARANGE" or otherwise marked largest sprocket . Prefferably black, to match (6/7sp).
I always buzz it off with the wire wheel on the bench grinder when I have them off, get the right angle and lean in to get it all and never had one rust after either.

And you are both being kind, these are fugly to the nth degree IMO.

They scream cheap, budget which they are but seem to work and last just fine despite that, crappy freewheels will advertise themselves by azzploding.

Last edited by merziac; 03-28-23 at 04:26 PM.