Old 10-28-20, 11:07 AM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Several thoughts. One, do you really need a triple. 2x setups can cover quite a range in 11 and 12 speed groups, are lighter and shift much better.

Two, I think your wheels are way overbuilt. We’re heavier than you guys, and run 28 spoke wheels on both our tandems. You can get a nice set of Lightning wheels with DT Swiss hubs and CF rims for under $800.

Three, I’m assuming you’re using cable actuated brakes due to breaking down the bike for travel. In our experience, the braking power of the Spyres is fairly marginal, particularly compared to hydraulic.If there’s a way to pack the bike loosening the hydraulic hoses from the frame, I’d go hydraulic. If that isn’t practical, TRP Spyre hybrids ( cable actuated, but with a hydraulic mechanism to clamp the caliper) in our experience offers much better braking than the pure,cable dis c brakes.

Four, I don’t quite understand the tire choice. iMHO 32mm is too wide for a go fast road tire like the GP5000, and the GP 5000’s would make a poor gravel tire.( I’d be worried about sidewall failures). A different approach would be a racing gravel tire. We’re running Panaacer Gravel Kings. They work well off road in all but very muddy conditions, and because they have little tread, they have low rolling resistance on road.

All depends on how you want to use the bike, but I your use includes much gravel off road, I think you’ll be disappointed with the GP5000’s ( and fwiw, we use GP5000’s on our road wheels.)
Good advice. We'll go with the Gravel Kings over the GP5000s. I have those on another bike and they're great on the road.

We want to be able to do loaded touring on this bike, so I've aired on the side of overbuilding. But I'm really tempted on the Light Bicycle wheels - been looking at the 32 spoke AR36 or 46 with a tandem layup.

Re: triple crankset, I have a hookup for cheap FSA Gossamers, and I can't seem to find any tandem double cranksets except the FSA carbon ones--which are 3 times the price and apparently not any lighter(?). I see the upsides of a double, but I also see the upsides of a triple, especially when touring.

I'll look into the Spyre hybrids too - thanks.