Old 09-15-21, 01:18 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
If your priority is to become a better climber and have better endurance, you will need to flip your training days. You should be on the bike 3-4 (or better yet, 5) and lift 2-3. If you want to have a strong body, but not necessarily an ideal one for cycling, then keep your current training regime. If you want to be a good climber, then you must devote more time on the bike doing 2-3 days of all out hard climbs and the remaining on recovery rides. As my coach told me, to win in the mountains, your must train in the mountains. In my day, I was always first or second hitting the summits.

P.S. Don’t add too much muscle by doing weights other than those used specifically for cycling. The reason being, you don’t want to carry additional pounds when climbing.
I posted this back in June and I've been hill climbing every week since then, plus going on group rides with other hill climbers. My climbing and endurance has drastically improved. I still go to the gym, but I've switched my training regiment to focus more on low rep, heavy weights to keep mass down, but still build strength. I've also been focusing on cadence and working on climbing techniques while managing my energy based on the route.

So as others mentioned, just climbing on a regular basis has been a big help to improve.
Likes For jonathanf2: