View Single Post
Old 09-24-15, 09:23 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I don't see much point in it. Why would people do a mixed mode taxi/bike thing? The whole point of taxis is that they take you right to the doorstep.
The point is people feeling more free to venture further from home knowing they can get a ride back if necessary. Or, if you want to travel to a nearby city for the weekend but it's too far to ride and you would still like to get around by bike when you're there. From what little I've researched Uber, the cost of taxi service beyond a couple miles is very high, but then so is Greyhound, and Greyhound buses don't have bike racks. There are some intercity buses that have bike racks (sometimes), but the schedules are typically inconvenient and I've decided it's not worth gambling whether the bus will have a bike rack on the day you need it to bc what do you do if it doesn't, leave your bike behind?

Anyway, I just raised the discussion because I wondered if anyone had struggled with traveling with their bike and used taxis or thought of the idea. I get the idea most car free people just bike around where they live and just walk or use other transportation when they travel to another area. I would do the same if bike rentals would be affordable but they're mostly expensive enough that it would be worth it to bring my own bike, if possible.