View Single Post
Old 10-01-15, 04:28 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
TP: Everything that comes "Standard" on a vehicle costs the consumer extra. When the made air bags standard the base price went up. ABS added to the base price. Even the Radio adds to the base price. Add a bike rack and you add to the base price.
If the bike rack was built into the frame at the time of manufacture, it would be more effective and simple. Basically, you already have longitudinal beams in the roof of any car/truck, correct? So if those beams have smaller beams inside or alongside that extend out through small, capped holes in the body/roof panels, then you really just have to pull the beams out to the extended position and lift the bike up onto them. Then, when you take the bike off, you just push the extended beams back into the roof.

If it's a standard feature, the cost is lower because it goes onto every vehicle in the factory instead of just some. Likewise, if it is an extra, it's going to cost a lot because the nature of factory extras is that they can be priced higher because they are paid off over the course of financing.

I really didn't want to get into an economic discussion about this. I just think it would be good to have such bike racks standard on all cars so that we can dispense generally with the notion that everyone should be able to park within walking distance of every destination. Reserve the nearby parking spots for people like Walter S's mother, who actually need them because they can't ride a bike.

Originally Posted by Walter S
My mother can't walk. She needs to buy a bike rack??
Why would you even use personal information about your mother like this? Is your point to challenge me to comment on your mother or relinquish my stance? I don't think your mother needs to buy a bike rack if she won't use it, but I don't think it would hurt her to have one built into a car she buys if it doesn't add significantly to the cost. Many standard items are included on cars that aren't really necessary. Why does everyone need to pay for carpeted floors and ceilings, for example? Why not just leave them bare? Rivets? Why not just spray-coat them? What about having non-upholstered seats made out of flexible plastic? Glove boxes? Why? Molded dash board, consoles, steering wheels, etc.? The price of cars/trucks could be much lower if none of these items were included standard.