I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by closetbiker
I’m talking about the general population.
Will they, or can they, ever learn that people riding bikes is a good thing for everyone?
Originally Posted by genec
Sorry, reality bites... until society grasps that "Cyclists Matter," we will constantly be at the bottom of the road use hierarchy. We see ads daily in media about how the motor vehicle is "the ultimate driving machine" etc, but when was the last time a bicycle was shown in media as a way to "save the planet."
Promoting bicycling as an activity that will "help save the planet" or as a "good thing for everyone" might serve some pleasant function for advocates who already believe that, but is unlikely to "learn" the general public anything that will get them to increase their use of a bicycle. More than likely such a holy roller campaign (even if true) will raise the general public's hackles as self righteous self promotion by hobbyists and be ignored.

IMO, bicycling should be promoted as the good thing it can be for the individual as a fun and/or practical recreational activity that can also be useful (and fun) for getting around town and is can be more convenient and/or economical than driving a motor vehicle or taking public transportation when the conditions are suitable.

OTOH, touting the environmental benefits of reduced air pollution may help sell bicycling infrastructure to officials looking to demonstrate that they are doing "something" about a real problem whether it is effective or not.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike: