View Single Post
Old 10-20-20, 06:04 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
Road Fan,
Thanks for the info ! I have several down tube friction shifters I can try. The braze on pegs are there that will make it a little easier to find a pair of shifters that will do the job. I have a pair of Campy Record down tuber's from the 1980's I think. I wil try them first and see how it goes. I need some more shifter cables and I ordered some more last night. Our bike shops around here are out. They are almost out of everything ! Interesting on how well it will shift one step in the back. I will find out. The 10 speed cassette is the latest Campy Ultra Drive so hopefully it will perform OK. One of the guys I ride with said the Shimano HyperGlide cassettes are better than the Campy UltraDrive for smooth friction shifting and It's unfortunate that I am using Campy . haha
On the Campy DT levers look out that the little lead ends from Shimano and Campy are not the same. If the ends on teh cable you have are too big, file them down to use in the smaller holes. They can get jammed, and there is no joy in destroying things to get the cables out.

As far as shifting one step in back, it's partly a matter of how finely you can set up the friction and smoothness of the leather and cable themselves, the smoothness of the derailleur moving sideways, and having too little mechanical advantage.

Also, I don't think the smoothness of the Shimano cassettes and the Campy ones is significantly different. And how would you do an A/B test with them? More important to use cassettes that fit on your wheels.

Last edited by Road Fan; 10-20-20 at 06:16 AM.