Old 11-17-20, 08:47 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I'm bumping this thread I created because I have finally procured a set of the SLM96 shifters from Sunrace. They're the 8-speed variety (8 indexed rear, friction front), but I imagine they feel the same as the 9-speed versions from Sunrace, so I feel they're a good comparison with the 9-speed Microshift shifters I have. Both sets are indexed on the right/rear and clicky friction on the left/front.

The Microshift ones definitely feel like higher quality shifters. Because the right/rear shifter can also be setup as friction, the tension on the whole barrel can be adjusted to suit your preference. Even in indexed mode, you can use the top screw to make the detents as hard or as soft as you desire. Because of this, they have (or can have, depending on your adjustment) a very light shift feel to them. I described them before as having a very nice "snick-snick-snick" feel to them, and that's a good description. The clickiness of the left/front friction shifter is fairly subtle, and I would describe them as "micro clicks" compared with Sunrace's left/front shifter -- the clicks are softer in feel and higher in number.

In comparison, the Sunrace shifters feel like...well...they feel like they cost half as much money as the Microshift ones, to be frank. The right/rear shifter is indexed only and does not offer a friction option. You can loosen the top screw on it, but that doesn't adjust the feel of the detents -- it just loosens the barrel on the mount. Whereas the Microshift shifter has a "snick-snick-snick" feel to it, the Sunrace is more of a "clack-clack-clack" as you rotate it. The indexing function itself works fine -- it shifts an RD-M591 very nicely on an 8-speed cassette, but the shifter's action feels less refined. Likewise, the left/front shifter's friction clicks are more positive and coarser...and fewer in number. I had no problems trimming a front derailleur, but the shifter didn't feel as nice as the Microshift one.

For those seeing this thread and wondering if the Microshift shifters really are worth $80-90/pair vs. $40-50/pair for the Sunrace shifters...I'd say there's a real difference in feel and I'd pony up for the Microshift ones if you can afford them.
Thanks for your follow-up. I’ve tried Sunrace downtube shifters and thought they were terrible. Glad to hear the a Sunrace thumbies shifted well enough. And that the Microshift are good thumb shifters.

John