View Single Post
Old 12-22-21, 05:06 AM
GhenghisKahn
OwainGyndwr

Bikes: 90 Fisher 3x7 hardtail, 2016 Reid 1x7 commuter, 2017 Viva 46x18 fixed gear, 93 2x8 Avanti Kona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Still, later, when I had more than one bike, I'd just take another bike.
This ^^^^^

Ultimately though, it's best to get puncture resistant tires. All major manufacturers make them. Specialized Armadillos, Bontrager Hardcase, Continental Gatorskins, Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Panaracer and Vittoria make ones as well, but can't remember the model names. Mr. Tuffys are a good option, but the downside is added weight and they can cut into one's tubes over time.. Airless is the surest option, but come with their own set of issues. I rode them for 2 years and can say the rolling resistance was a reasonable price to pay for 100% confidence on every commute.

Everything about cycling in general and commuting specifically is about compromise. From one's bike, days per week, componentry, accessories, security, etc. Everyone has different criteria because everyone's commute is different. Personally, I came to using SMPs w/Mr. Tuffys in the rr tires and had 3 punctures in 20 years. Others swear by Armadillos. Tire maintenence can go a long way, too. I would pick out bits of stone, shards, wire etc. Did this procedure once per week. The main thing is to lower the odds on getting a flat or slow leak in the first place. Whatever equipment or process one uses is always tailored to one's specific needs. Cheers.

Last edited by GhenghisKahn; 12-23-21 at 04:29 PM.