View Single Post
Old 01-26-19, 12:25 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I'm pretty sure that this was the first racing number I ever wore, shown following a rare local road race in rural, upstate NY around 1975.

The grand looking house across the street belonged to a local doctor, and my bike was a 1971 Raleigh Record having no alloy components beyond the handlebar stem, calipers, levers (and the replacement front wheel's hub shell). For foolish reasons I had also replaced the front Altenberger Synchron caliper with a generic centerpull caliper and hanger.
My winnings for 1st place in a youth category bought me a Suntour V rear derailer, unexpectedly necessitating a smaller freewheel.
Not sure today, but I may(???) have actually raced in those boots.
The (circuit?) race was mass-start, but our race bypassed the added laps around IBM's T.J. Watson research facility that the senior riders had to complete. So my race was done in under an hour and I was the first one in sight of the finish. The crowd at the start/finish had been waiting patiently so made me feel like I was the overall leader.

Last edited by dddd; 01-26-19 at 12:31 PM.