View Single Post
Old 12-19-21, 09:42 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I have never heard of or seen anyone use a hard shell S&S case as a trailer, but I see no reason why that could not be done the same way that the Bike Friday trailer works.
I once considered rigging a way of using my Samsonite Oyster suitcase as a trailer. My Dahon Helios packs in it with some effort. The problems are:
  • I loathe the flexing of the tall masts on the Helios (and every small wheeled folder I have ridden)
  • The trailer wheels would need to be carried in another bag
  • The packing is a bit of a pain in the neck with the 62" case barely accomodating the Helios
  • It seems impossible to get the riding position I want with the Helios
I have never ridden a Bike Friday and wonder if I'd be satisfied with the rigidity of the handling. It does look like the cockpit can be tailored to a proper riding position, something that eludes me with the Dahon and probably would with many of the other folders.

I have used the Helios for travel where I wanted to take a bike for casual riding, but doubt I'll tour ever on it, so no need for a trailer. It is okay for shortish ride and running errands. I hate it where the climbing gets at all steep. The cockpit setup makes for poor climbing posture and the flexy masts really suck when climbing.

These days I am far more likely to just take a full sized bike in a soft case or box since most airlines don't have the heinous bike fees for over 62" bags. My 54cm frame with both wheels removed packed in a soft case makes for a fairly small and manageable bag. Packing and assembly are pretty easy.

Last edited by staehpj1; 12-19-21 at 09:46 AM.
Likes For staehpj1: