Old 01-27-22, 03:14 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by gif4445
Interesting thread. And wondering if any of it fits in my situation. I was 61 yo when I raced the Trans Am. 4200+ miles in a little over 28 days, with mileage days ranging from 70 (mechanical problem) to 220. In the month(s) afterwards I was notably weaker, which is no surprise. What has been concerning to me is how my body has kinda broke down since the race in June of 2019 Neck and knee surgery, Sciatic/back pain, which has been the worst. Always something. Could, and probably is, more of an age issue than anything, but maybe it goes beyond that. Just thought I would throw that out there.
N = 2

Trans Am at similar age in similar time.

I had orthopedic issues post race but to be fair, I think my cervical problems were brewing for a decade and the torn rotator cuff was partially torn before the race.

Post race, my FTP was higher and my ability to suffer on 3-5 minute climbs was off the charts. I have never gotten close since then on my functional reserve capacity (FRC) or W'. I have exceeded the FTP figure.

I intentionally did not ride really hard. I was just coming out of some overtraining in the Fall where my volume and intensity was really high, too high. I was being coached at the time. That training in the Fall was way worse than TABR. I did two series that year, two 1200K, a 24 hour race, and my CTL was off the charts. I was more than overreached. I took a lot of time off. So, my TABR goals were modest. My race strategy was to sleep a good amount, not ride in dangerous conditions like lightning (once is enough), hard rain on bad roads, or nights on bad roads. I doubt anyone followed my Dot but I suppose if they did, they might have been.....what is he doing not moving. Like you I had difficult to resolve mechanical issues. I started the race with a painful case of gout in my left foot and then I feel dismounting on MacKenzie pass partially rupturing my achilles.

I suppose a younger rider would have not overtrained in the Fall or would have torn their rotor cuff when the dog got him. So, my issues were all orthopedic. I do not regret doing the race. You know when the UPS truck stops to tell you the heat index is 161 and offers you a ride and says, where you going and you say Virgina.....the look on his face is priceless.
Likes For GhostRider62: