Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I am LBKA.

In my own case I utilized Eggbeaters simply due to how much easier they are to get out of. Even with that aspect, I have to always unclip with my right foot and get it on the ground before I can unclip my left, regardless. I had to adjust my cleat such that it would not inadvertently come unclipped while riding and particularly for the rare case that I stand and peddle. The biggest issue to come of that was that I have to twist my leg (prosthetic) inwards, towards the chain stay to unclip.
This wasn't a really big deal while riding solo as I had plenty of room to maneuver, stop where I needed to be able to facilitate doing so safely. As I started to participate in more group rides and events I ran across several situations where I was unable to unclip as quickly as I needed and nearly hurt myself and others as a result. Additionally, sometimes conditions of the road such as grade at a stop sign and such things created a situation in which I could not get both feet clipped back in and going without losing speed and or falling over.

I actually moved into riding a recumbent trike for a while simply due to how much safer it was for me, but also realized the limitations of those conveyances pretty quickly...such as a curb and such.

I swapped over to riding large platforms with "Vans" (Airwalk, and other similar skating and biking shoes). Not only did it make walking around while just out and about on the bike easier, but it also made where I wasn't physically attached to a bike that I might not be able to bail from when needed. Obviously, you will have to find your own happy space there. The only time I currently ride with cleats is on my road bike for solo adventures, and also would note that I use what would be considered 'MTB' shoes due to having a recessed cleat mount. Walking on a cleat is super sketchy on a prothesis.

Last edited by Juan Foote; 07-07-22 at 12:53 PM.
Likes For Juan Foote: