Old 10-03-22, 06:04 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Just back from a ride where I've had another Latex tube failure. This is the third such failure I've had with Latex tubes in around 3000km. I love the ride feel of them and I mainly use them because they "test fast" for rolling resistance. Each tube has failed right around the base of the valve stem.

Same brand of tubes (Challenge) on two different wheels.

One tube failed at home while the bike was stored (went downstairs to find it was flat), next I think was when inflating but I can't remember, then this third one was out on the road while bombing along on the TT bike (the only bike I use Latex on). This tube only lasted 800km. The rims are super smooth tubeless ready style and I inflate to around 80-85psi. Here's what the latest failure looks like, they've all failed in this same area:

Is this an issue with the batch / brand of tubes perhaps?
Maybe the way I'm installing them?
Or perhaps it's sabotage from Big Tubeless?

Any thoughts? 🤔

That said, the rims and tyres are tubeless ready, so perhaps I'm better off converting them to tubeless instead.
Careful, you'll start another tube VS TL debate! I'm on the TL side - if your current wheels are TL ready, then put some sealant in there and a tubeless valve and pump it up.

It looks like something was rubbing on the inside and caused the puncture. It would be a tough place to put a patch, your tube is good for the bin.