Old 12-08-15, 10:22 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Definitely leaning toward the out and back route (Key West to Key Largo and back), avoiding the Everglades completely. Not because of the alligators, but the endless straight highway running through what really amounts to a large swamp. Of course, there is interesting wildlife and stuff, but two days in the Keys versus two days in the Everglades almost seems like a no brainer.
I would agree with you on the Everglades. The Everglades are awesome, but in my opinion not where US41 travels. I spend my time between Goodland and Flamingo, but by boat - not bike. I still like the offroad section I was alluding to, but that is only 26 miles of the 100 or so across. Also, it is a lot more than 100 to get from Naples to the start of the Keys (maybe 140??) and the trip south through to Homestead ain't the greatest either.

Now you are getting me excited about getting back to the Keys!

Make sure you stop at:

Mrs. Mac's Kitchen | American Seafood Restaurant | Key Largo, FL 33037

You will not regret it (breakfast, lunch, or dinner). There is a cool place to stay just north of that if you need lodging for reasonable price (I negotiated $68 a few years ago during Thanksgiving time):

baycovemotel.com

Where I go to get away: