Old 06-19-19, 02:36 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I wanted to add that despite so many good anecdotes and hints etc, it's a shame the person never once popped back in.
I hope it worked out alright for her or him.
Interesting note on the OP not reappearing.... They posted last 4 days from your post and 11 days from now, so some time has certainly passed.

For what it is worth, from the originating post in this thread, the OP is on a tight budget. I think that is their primary constraint/frustration and taking cover from the weather is eating in to that budget at a much higher rate than planned for.

None of us know the details of the OP's "tour", so what area, where from/to, mileage goals, etc are all unknown. Timeframe is also an unknown. Is this "tour" scheduled over a 2 week "vacation" from work? In that case, the time constraint is going back to work on time and the frustration of the weather on the tour would certainly be understandable - it would be wrecking the tour to be unsalvageable in the time given, not just eating the budget.

If the tour doesn't have a particular timeframe my thoughts are to go home, look at the weather closer, and go back out when there is a favorable weather pattern. You can't move far enough on a bike fast enough to get out of a week long wet weather pattern.

If time is critical - jump on a buss or train and get yourself away from the wet weather pattern to continue the tour somewhere else. Consider it an adventure - a basic idea to start with, but what ends up happening unfolds as it does. Look at it in a positive way and, if you can't enjoy being wet in the location you're in for the time you're there, go somewhere in that time that is dry where you can enjoy, even if it wasn't the "original plan". Though, I realize a buss or train trip is more cost - it might not be as much as a week of motel stays, if you had to resort to that.