View Single Post
Old 08-18-21, 05:07 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Schlafen
Wolftooth offer a similar tool called the Pack Hanger.

Great in a pinch, if you don't have the tool or you can't get to the lbs. In my opinion it will get you in the ball park for up to 9 speed, possibly 10. For 11 and 12 speed a Park Tool DAG or similar is a must as the spacing is narrower and a very small deviation at the hanger can cause issues.

A derailleur hanger adjustment tool is the best bike tool investment I've ever made. Hangers are ALWAYS bent.
Especially when people decide to go 1x and use clutched mechs, it will eventually bend the hanger just with normal use.

As a side note, I used to own one of those Defy 3.5. Contrary to what people used to say about stiff old aluminium frames, it was great to ride hydroformed aluminium tubing and came with a carbon fork and dropped stays, in 2009. Way ahead of it's time it was very light as well.
I honestly think its better than just for a pinch, as long as the rods are straight. A 500mm overhang is way more than the ~310mm rim radius that a normal gear hanger tool uses to gauge against and I would assume its at least equally good. Depending on the length of the rods, you should be able to easily detect a small fraction of a degree deviation. For instance a 0.1 degree deviation between the gear eye and the wheel dropouts translates to 0.9mm misalignment at the end of the rods,- easily detectable by eye.

Last edited by Racing Dan; 08-18-21 at 05:28 PM.