View Single Post
Old 01-19-22, 10:32 PM
blurcovenky

Bikes: 2006 Surly LHT / 2003 Look KG 461 / 1993 Novara Corsa / Trek 4300 / Handsome Devil / Cannondale ST 600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Well going to say no on that only because you gave us little information about yourself or your commute or anything like that. If commuting probably the more spokes is better but in the end a well built well is most important granted with more spokes tends to be less catastrophic if it fails.

Yes wider tires are important and do help a lot but I think you can probably do a 28-32mm tire in those rims and maybe a touch wider but yeah it is a bit narrower.

I would let folks know what wheels you have or if nothing commercially available list what parts are used and then also tell us what your roads or like or where you are commuting and also how much you weigh and how much you are carrying. We are not all knowing (though I know the most and have a bigly brain...LOL) so you have to give us the info so we can help you but in general more spokes probably a better commuting wheel (up to a point) but a hand built wheel from a professional vs. a crappy machine built wheel will likely last longer and can be better tuned to a rider.
I weigh 150 pounds ( I carry a backpack that weighs 12 to 14 pounds). My commute is mostly on tarmac. I ride mostly paved trails. Average of 500 miles a month. The 20 spoke wheels are Shimano wheels (hub and rim) bladed spokes. Hope that helps.